Tongue Twister Trouble is an episode of the Happy Tree Friends internet series, the nineteenth of the first season. This episode continues Sniffles' eternal struggle with the ants. It also introduces Cro-Marmot, an ancient mammal frozen in a block of ice, and Mittens, Giggles' beloved cat.
HTF Episode Description
The episode begins with the Happy Tree Friends enjoying a day on the ice, ice skating. Sniffles, meanwhile, seems to have some trouble with his footing. As he gets a good balance, an ant skates by. Fascinated, Sniffles tries to eat the ant. When he launches his tongue, it misses the ant and instead hits the ice. Sniffles attempts to pull his tongue off the ice, but as he does so, he tears off the skin on the bottom. Because of this, he is trapped.
The ants now use this as an opportunity to get back at Sniffles. First, they throw a toy mouse on his tongue, and one of them releases a cat named Mittens. Mittens quickly jumps onto Sniffles' tongue, and she finds it so comfortable, she begins pricking her claws on it, making Sniffles shout in pain.
Behind Sniffles, one of the ants ties a rope to Sniffles' tail and signals to another ant to do something. The other ant is seen holding a bottle of wine, and it swings it at an anvil that the rope is tied to. The anvil is sent sliding into a hole in the ice. As the anvil sinks down, Sniffles starts to get pulled in as well, his tongue being the only thing that keeps him from falling in completely. Unfortunately, Mittens, still resting on Sniffles' tongue, uses her razor-sharp claws to slice it off with one swing. With his tongue severed, Sniffles starts sliding into the hole, up until he sinks completely. Seconds after falling into the ice-cold water, Sniffles re-submerges, now encased in a block of ice.
"Mind your manners!"
- Sniffles is pulled into the water by an anvil and gets encased in ice, causing him to freeze to death or be put into suspended animation. (Debatable, because Cro-Marmot is able to survive in an ice block similar to the one Sniffles is in)
- Sniffles gets his tongue stuck to ice. The skin on the bottom of it tears off as he tries to get up.
- Sniffles' tongue is sliced by Mittens' claws.
- Amount of surviving main characters: 3 (2 including Debatable deaths)
- Amount of dead main characters: 0 (1 including Debatable deaths)
- Total rate: 100% (66.67% including Debatable deaths)
- A bottle of wine breaks when The Ant swings it at an anvil.
- In the classics remastered version, due to the increased aspect ratio, Giggles appears out of thin air when she starts skating on the ice.
- Sniffles' snout shrinks in size when his tongue is stuck on the ice, staying this way for the rest of the episode.
- Mittens' cage opens on its own (unless the cage was meant be opened by a remote control in the hands of an off-screen ant).
- The width and size of Sniffles' tongue increases two times. The first time is when Mittens starts prickling her paws on it. The second time is in the ending, when she falls asleep on it.
- When one of The Ants ties the rope to Sniffles' tail, the rope is tied midway, but when Sniffles begins to slide into the ice, the rope has somehow moved further up his tail.
- Right before Mittens cuts off Sniffles' tongue, he stops sliding, meaning that it has reached its limit despite it being shown to be much longer in Crazy Ant-ics and Tongue in Cheek.
- Sniffles' scarf disappears as he begins sliding into the water, then it reappears when he re-emerges in a block of ice.
- The end credits list Ellen Connell under voices even though Giggles doesn't make a sound in the episode.