Remains to be Seen is the twenty-second episode of the second season of Happy Tree Friends, and the forty ninth overall.
The Happy Tree Friends are trick-or-treating when they come across a road where Flippy is driving his truck, carrying radioactive waste in the back. As he stops the truck and waits for them to pass, the car backfires, giving off a sound similar to a gunshot. He gets scared and jumps to the floor, only to come up flipped out and turned into Fliqpy. In this state, he stomps on the gas pedal and crashes into a tree, splashing radioactive goo everywhere and killing all the other Happy Tree Friends present, along with himself.
Later, after burying all the Happy Tree Friends, Lumpy the gravedigger sighs with relief that his job is done. Then he notices that one of Nutty's legs is sticking out of his grave. When he goes to push it down, an arm pops out instead. Lumpy continues pushing down limbs, eventually ending up right on top of the grave just in time to see the head of Nutty, who is now a zombie, pop out of the earth, rotting and soaked in radioactive goo but definitely not dead.
Before the undead sugar freak can do anything more than moan groggily, Lumpy buries him under a pile of dirt, but then sees the other dead Happy Tree Friends rise from their graves as zombies. Quickly, he grabs an old-time push mower and shreds Lifty, Shifty, Russell, and several Generic Tree Friends, before he is suddenly stopped. He looks down to see that two green hands are holding the mower. Fliqpy pops out of the ground, still flipped out even after his death. He jumps at Lumpy and bites his arm, revealing that he has no lower body. Lumpy shakes his arm in shock, causing it to rip off, and runs away screaming.
Fliqpy spits out Lumpy's severed arm to pursue him. He rips Handy in half at the waist and steals his lower body, using Handy's intestines as suspenders to keep the two halves together. Lumpy runs into a nearby tool shed, looking around for a weapon, and smiles when his eyes come upon a chainsaw. However, he instead chooses a leaf-blower to put on as a replacement for his missing arm. He jabs the air in front of Fliqpy's face, but only succeeds in blowing a few maggots away. Unimpressed, Fliqpy tackles Lumpy to the ground, with the latter closing his eyes, ready for certain death. When he opens them, he sees that the leaf-blower is now lodged in Fliqpy's eye, causing his brain to swell to huge proportions. This attracts the attention of the other zombies, who gather around the cadaverous commando. Lumpy quickly takes the leaf-blower off his arm and runs away.
As all the zombies in the vicinity start to surround the scared veteran, Toothy climbs up Fliqpy's over-sized brain and uses his buckteeth to bite it, resulting in a gigantic explosion which kills and re-buries all of the zombies (with the exception of The Mole) and puts the tombstones back to their proper positions. A relieved Lumpy lies on his back, his previously ripped-off arm resting on his chest. Suddenly the hand becomes zombified and attacks Lumpy, attempting to tear out his heart. Lumpy manages to remove the limb from his chest and examines it. The arm comes back to life, however, and punches him out cold. Before the cartoon ends, the same paper ghost from the past Halloween Specials drops down and lets out a wail.
As the credits roll, a silhouette of The (still-zombified) Mole can be seen blindly walking on the horizon.
"Live and let live!"
- Russell, Lifty, Shifty, Handy, Cuddles, Giggles, Toothy, Petunia, Sniffles, Mime, Nutty, The Mole, Flippy, and some Generic Tree Friends die in a truck crash. They are later revived as zombies, and all except The Mole are later killed again.
- Russell, Lifty, Shifty, and some Generic Tree Friends die again when they are shredded by Lumpy's lawnmower.
- Handy, Cuddles, Giggles, Toothy, Petunia, Sniffles, Mime, and some Generic Tree Friends die again either when Fliqpy's brain explodes or by falling to their deaths before being re-buried (one hit its head on the side of the crater, before falling into the hole, possibly killing it). (Debatable for Nutty, as all of the soil that he was buried in may have saved him from the explosion.)
- Fliqpy dies when his inflated brain explodes with the help of zombie Toothy biting it.
- Lumpy may have been killed by his severed arm, as he was struggling to fight it and was knocked out in the end. (Debatable and not seen)
- The Cursed Idol may have died when Fliqpy's brain exploded. (Debatable)
- Fliqpy is torn in half.
- The zombified Handy is ripped in half by Fliqpy, though his upper body is still animate.
- Lumpy's arm is bitten off by Fliqpy.
- Lumpy is knocked out by his zombified arm.
- Amount of surviving main characters: 1 (0 including Debatable deaths)
- Amount of dead main characters: 13 (14 including Debatable deaths)
- Total rate: 7.69% (0% including Debatable deaths)
- Fliqpy crashes his truck into a tree.
- Numeorus characters have their costumes and clothes ruined in a truck crash.
- One of the lenses on Nutty's Gruncho glasses break when his eyeball pops out of his head.
- The leaf blower is most likely destroyed when Fliqpy's brain explodes. Numerous graves are also blown into the sky and start landing in random areas of the cemetery.
- Some of the stars are pasted over the moon (likely a layering error).
- It is unknown how Handy is able to hold his viking shield despite his lack of hands. This goof applies to how he is able to do things that require hands off-screen as well.
- Normally, when Flippy goes insane, his eyes turn green. In this episode, Fliqpy's eyes are the same shade of light blue as are later exhibited by the zombified Happy Tree Friends.
- The crest on Flippy's beret switches places twice.
- The Tree Friends take an incredibly long time to cross the road. When they start to cross, there is a time span of approximately 15 seconds where the truck's exhaust backfires and Flippy flips out, yet he still manages to hit the group. (Debatable, as he may have driven off the road.)
- The tree which Flippy crashes into is nowhere near where the Tree Friends cross the road.
- Prior to the crash, Petunia, Mime, The Mole, Lifty, Shifty, and numerous Generic Tree Friends appear to be absent from the group (though Petunia's leg and Mime's face can be seen after the crash), only to appear, with no costume, among the zombies. (Debatable, as they may have been in the area, but not as trick-or-treaters, or they may have died before the events of this episode.)
- There are numerous goofs when the result of the truck crash is shown.
- Russell's eyepatch and hook switch to his right eye and arm.
- Mime is missing his philtrum.
- The trail of radioactive waste and a few body parts can be seen "floating" above the ground, despite how it was all seen splattered on the street after the crash.
- The road that the trick-or-treaters are crossing disappears. (Debatable, as Fliqpy may have driven off the road to hit them.)
- Both of Handy's legs appear to still be intact while he has a third leg visible way in the back of the shot.
- When Flippy dies, he crashes through his windshield and his body appears intact. When he comes back as a zombie, he is missing his lower half. No explanation is given as to why his body is in that condition. (Debatable, as it is possible that Lumpy accidentally broke him in half while burying him or that the wound was covered by his shirt or the truck itself.)
- As usual, the direction of Lumpy's antlers changes frequently throughout the episode.
- When the truck crashes, Petunia and Handy lose one each of their legs. However, when they are revived, they both have two legs.
- When Flippy crashes, Handy's hard hat flies off. In the next scene, he is wearing it again. (Debatable, as he could have retrieved it, or Lumpy could have placed it back onto him when he buried him.)
- Since a few episodes hint that Mime can actually talk, he should have made noises with the other characters since he as a zombie would be oblivious to his mime artist status.
- Mime's zombified appearance makes him look like he has been dead for a long time. Since all of the characters are killed at the same time, it does not make sense that all of the characters have only slightly decomposed, while Mime has decomposed to the point where most of his skeleton and rib cage can be seen.
- When Mime becomes a zombie, the wrong half of his head is missing; the crash that cut his head took off the right side, not the left.
- In the remastered and BlurB! versions of the episode, when zombie Mime appears, the outline and coloring of his mouth become dislocated.
- When Lifty and Shifty are seen, the dirt they are sitting in is transparent. Their bodies also lack tails and legs. While it's possible that they lost their tails and legs in the accident, there are no tears where their feet would be.
- Lumpy's pupils grow larger after he forces his severed arm off him. (Debatable, as this may have been to emphasize his shock.)
- While Handy is a zombie, the blood on his hard hat disappears and the left horn is broken instead of the right one.
- When Fliqpy severs Handy's torso, the maggots on the missing parts of Handy's face disappear as his torso is thrown.
- When Fliqpy tears off Handy's torso, his tail is somehow attached to his back.
- Even though Lumpy loses his left arm to Fliqpy, he is seen with both arms intact as he runs into the tool shed. Furthermore, his left arm is still attached to him when he is inside the tool shed.
- When Fliqpy grabs Lumpy after the latter replaces his arm with a leaf-blower, he jumps at Lumpy's body while the leaf-blower is not pointing at him, meaning that it would be impossible for the leaf-blower to get stuck in his eye unless Lumpy struggled with him before that.
- The zombified characters shouldn't have been interested in Fliqpy's brain, since zombies tend to eat living flesh.
- Seconds before zombified Sniffles, Giggles, and Petunia notice Fliqpy's brain, Petunia's head marking is stretched all the way down the back of her head.
- The missing part of Petunia's face changes places when she walks toward Fliqpy.
- Petunia's air freshener is torn up when she dies, but it is in perfect condition when she begins walking towards Flipqy.
- Toothy's philtrum is missing when he bites Fliqpy's brain.
Quick Shot Moment
Note: This is fixed on Classics Remastered version and the Blurb