Read 'em and Weep is the first episode of the third season of the Happy Tree Friends internet series, and fifty-fifth overall.
The episode begins Toothy selling books. He is soon approached by Pop and Cub. Cub picks up a fairy tale book with a castle on it. However, the first thing Pop notices is the little piece of paper on the table where Cub got the book, which shows a dollar sign. He assumes that the book must be expensive, so he refuses to buy it. He then notices some books in a box with a piece of paper with a cent symbol on it. Assuming the books inside the box are cheaper, he digs through the box and pulls out a brown and withered book whose cover resembles the Necronomicon. Though Pop is satisfied, Cub isn't, but Pop proceeds to buy the book anyway.
Later that night at Pop and Cub's house, Pop reads the book to Cub as a bedtime story. As Pop reads the story, Cub seems to be getting more and more worried as Pop goes on. To make things worse, clouds begin to swirl over their house and hundreds of dead birds fall out of the sky and drop to the ground. Seeing the "storm" outside, Pop closes the bedroom window, turns off Cub's bedroom light, and leaves. However, the story was so frightening that Cub remains sitting in his bed, scared stiff and eyes wide open. After a few seconds, a strange, green, ominous glow appears under the bed. As the frightened infant peeks under his bed to see what it is, an unseen force advances on Cub, followed by the screen abruptly cutting to black.
The next morning, Pop makes breakfast for Cub, who is now green and in a zombie-like state. After refusing to eat his breakfast, Cub's head rotates 360 degrees and he vomits a green fluid all over Pop. The doorbell rings and Pop answers the door to see Petunia, dressed as a girl scout, selling cookies. Suddenly, a tentacle wraps itself around Petunia and pulls her.
It is revealed that Cub has tentacles and a beak coming out of his mouth. While Petunia clings for dear life to a cabinet under the sink, shrieking, Pop, horrified, looks at the monster. The monster inside Cub tears the skin and tail off of Petunia's lower body, causing her to scream in extreme pain. To protect herself, Petunia dashes into the cabinet beneath the sink.
She starts crying from pain and fear, but the tentacles emerge through the sink pipes and grab her again, causing her to shriek. With Petunia screaming, the tentacles attempt to drag her through the drain of the sink, brutally crushing her body in the process. When the demon struggles to pull out the horrified skunk, it notices the garbage disposal switch and flips it, causing the garbage disposal to grind up Petunia's body until her flesh finally slips out, ending her cries of pain. As the demon eats what remains of Petunia, Pop quickly grabs his phone and makes a frantic phone call.
The doorbell rings again and Pop answers to find Lumpy, a priest/exorcist. He is immediately vomited upon by Cub, whom he then tackles. Pop picks up a vase of flowers and prepares to throw it at Cub, but hesitates and then runs to grab something off screen. Lumpy struggles with the monster in Cub's head and eventually succeeds in tearing it out. Cub, now his normal color and minus the monster in his head, looks at his body and smiles happily. Unfortunately, Pop doesn't realize that Cub has now been cured and bashes Cub in the head repeatedly with a shovel until he is a flat, bloody circle.
Later at nighttime, Pop and Lumpy stand by Cub's grave, mourning his death. The episode ends with a tentacle coming out of Lumpy's mouth, which he quickly places his hand over, indicating that he has been possessed by another demon.
"Don't judge a book by its cover!"
- Hundreds of birds die after Pop reads the cursed book.
- Petunia is pulled through the drain of a sink and is torn apart by the sink's garbage disposal.
- Cub is hit and flattened by Pop, using a shovel.
- The Demon possesses Cub's body.
- Petunia has the skin and tail on her lower body torn off by the demon.
- The Demon is exorcised from Cub's body by Lumpy (Debatable, since the effects of exorcism on a demon are unknown and so this may or may not have actually injured it).
- Amount of surviving main characters: 3
- Amount of dead main characters: 2
- Total Rate: 60%
- A pipe falls off when the demon pushes its tentacles through the drain.
- Cub's beanie (and possibly diaper) is flattened by Pop's shovel.
- When Toothy is standing behind the table after putting down the stack of books, his legs are missing.
- Cub's safety pin switches positions numerous times throughout the episode.
- When Cub goes to pick up the book he wanted, Toothy has disappeared. (Debatable, as he might have moved away)
- During Toothy's sale, there are three books standing straight up on the left side of the table. Cub picks one of them up, but right before Pop looks over at the dollar symbol, there are again three books standing upright.
- When Pop opens his mouth in approval of the book he chose, his pipe floats around his mouth.
- When Pop is reading the book to Cub, he opens it up to the middle and starts with "once upon a time". (Debatable, as there could be multiple stories in the book.)
- In the shot when Pop is going to read the book, the window is closed, but when the rain of birds starts, it is open.
- Cub's bedroom window is round, but Pop pushes it closed like a square window. Usually, round windows are two separate pieces the open and close like a door.
- The positions of the picture frames behind Cub's bed change.
- Cub's beanie faces the same direction the entire time Cub rotates his head 360 degrees.
- Cub's neck should've been broken when his head rotated 360 degrees, but he seems totally normal when Lumpy tears out the Demon from his body.
- When Pop opens the door, Petunia is standing outside. In the next shot, she's already inside.
- Cub's hat never falls off his head during the entire time his demon form is shown.
- The kitchen counter changes size between Pop cooking and Petunia's death scene.
- When the Demon grabs Petunia, Pop has vomit on his hat. After the Demon is shown trying to eat Petunia, however, Pop is completely clean.
- Pop and Petunia's eyes repeatedly switch to black circles throughout the episode.
- When Petunia's skin is ripped off her body, she lacks her tail muscle and nerves. (Debatable, as they may have been ripped off as well.)
- Parts of Petunia's head pass through the counter while she runs under the sink.
- While Petunia is hiding under the sink, two tentacles emerge from the pipes, but when she is getting pulled through the drain, there is only one tentacle shown.
- The skin on the lower half of Petunia's body is ripped off before she hides beneath the sink, but the skin is still on one of her legs and there is none on her arm when she is pulled through the drain.
- When Petunia's body is being pulled from the kitchen sink, she still emits cries of agony even though the remains of her body are completely mangled. (Debatable, as after the grinder is activated, she stops screaming, which may suggest that her mouth, heart, or brain was somehow still functional before then.)
- When Pop goes to the door there are no flowers on the table. After Pop lets Lumpy in, flowers appear on the table when he picks them up, and then after Cub is exorcised, the flowers are gone.
- When Pop opens the door, Lumpy's antlers are outside the door. After Cub vomited on Lumpy and he looks down at his green body, his antlers pass through the wall.
- Before Lumpy tackles Cub, there is no vase on the stand next to Pop, but one appears when a close up is shown of Pop panicking.
Quick Shot Moment