Hide and Seek is an episode of the Happy Tree Friends internet series, the fourteenth of the first season. This is the episode that introduces Flippy (and his murderous alter ego, Fliqpy), the war-torn bear who flips out and kills everyone in sight every time he sees and/or hears something relating to war.
HTF Episode Description
Be prepared for your first introduction to Flippy, the troubled war veteran bear who suffers regular flashbacks. Flippy is the only Happy Tree Friend that intentionally inflicts harm on his fellow friends, which is how an innocent game of hide and seek turns deadly.
The episode begins with Toothy, Petunia, and Flaky playing a friendly game of hide and seek in the woods with Flippy, a green bear who was once a soldier in the army. Flippy begins counting, while the others run to hide. As he continues to count, a woodpecker behind him begins pecking at the tree it's perching on. The sound of the woodpecker's pecking turns into machine gun fire in Flippy's mind, and he stops counting. He then flips out and becomes his alter ego Fliqpy before throwing a Bowie knife through the woodpecker's chest, killing it. Once that's done, Fliqpy runs off to find the others.
Elsewhere, Toothy giggles while hiding behind a tree. Unbeknownst to him, Fliqpy, camouflaged against the tree behind Toothy, grabs Toothy's head and gives it a big twist, which snaps his neck. Meanwhile, a panting Flaky continues to look for a hiding spot. Suddenly, a piano wire comes down around her neck and pulls her up, strangling her to death.
Petunia, having witnessed Flaky's death, begins to back away in fear while whimpering. She then trips and falls into a punji pit set up by Fliqpy. As Petunia yells in pain from being pierced all over her body, Fliqpy arrives. Seeing him, Petunia lifts her arm with great effort, hoping that "Flippy" will grab her hand to pull her out. Not understanding her motive, Flippy instead gives Petunia an activated grenade. Seeing what Flippy gave her, Petunia screams in horror as the iris closes in on the active grenade. When the iris closes in completely, a loud explosion is heard, signaling that the grenade exploded, killing her.
"After the rain comes a rainbow!"
- A woodpecker is stabbed with Flippy's bowie knife.
- Toothy's neck gets broken after Flippy violently twists it.
- Flaky is asphyxiated after Flippy hangs her with a wire.
- Petunia is blown up by a hand grenade handed to her by Flippy. (Death not seen)
- Petunia falls into a pit and has her entire body is impaled on spikes.
- Amount of surviving main characters: 1
- Amount of dead main characters: 3
- Total rate: 25%
- Flippy's eyes are shown turning yellow when he flips out, but his eyes are still the same as before when he kills the woodpecker and the other Tree Friends. His teeth remain normal as well, while future episodes have them become crooked or sharpen into fangs.
- When Fliqpy kills the woodpecker, his dog tags are missing.
- Toothy has normal buckteeth when he is by the tree.
- When Toothy is hiding behind a tree, his tail is taller then his body, but when Fliqpy appears on the tree, Toothy's head is higher then his tail.
- When Fliqpy becomes visible just before he breaks Toothy's neck, his eyes are facing outwards, making him look cross-eyed.
- When Flaky is hung, her quills are missing.
- When Petunia is backing away in fear just before she falls into the stake pit, her eyelashes are missing.
- Petunia's blood spills before she falls into the pit.
- The arm Petunia lifts after she falls into the stake pit is her left arm, but when Fliqpy hands her a grenade, it is her right arm.
- Fliqpy can't possibly reach Petunia to hand her the grenade. The pit is too deep.
- When handing Petunia the grenade, Flippy is supposed to be flipped out, yet he looks normal.
- In the teaser for this episode, the ground seems to be in a different color variety.
- The pile of leaves are the same color of Toothy's skin, if you look closely at the leaves color.